Generously sized and deeply wooded lots along curving streets define the Averett Woods neighborhood. Built largely during the late 1950s and 1960s, the neighborhood is comprised of Colonial Revival and mid-century modern, brick and stone Ranch Houses, many the collaborative work of Columbus architects, builders and owners. Local architect Rozier Dedwylder designed the Averett-Yarbrough House (1959) and collaborated with James C. Rose, a nationally significant modernism landscape architect, to create the garden that melds together “the indoor and outdoor spaces across the hillside site.”
Averett Woods also includes Plumfield, the magnificent 1938 classical-revival house designed by James J. W. Biggers Sr. The original Plumfield grounds of one hundred acres became a small subdivision—Plumfield Estates—in the late 1950s.