Weracoba-St. Elmo Historic District
The Weracoba-St.Elmo Historic District is an early- to mid-20th century residential, recreational, educational and commercial neighborhood. It contains two antebellum houses and one of the State’s largest and most intact concentrations of Craftsman Bungalow, Tudor Revival, Neoclassical Revival and Spanish Revival style homes from the 1930s and 1940s. In existence for a century, Wildwood—now Weracoba—Park is the oldest, large-scale daily-use park and recreational facility in Columbus. John Francis Flournoy and Louis F. Garrard’s Columbus Railroad Company built Wildwood Park in 1890 to enhance his surrounding residential development. In 1924, the City purchased the park, a major portion of which became the Columbus High School site. The district also contains the Gothic-style St. Elmo School and Columbus’s first true shopping center, the St. Elmo Shopping Center.