James W. Woodruff Sr. built his secluded Tudor revival mansion on family property in 1923, and started a subdivision there in 1926. Woodcrest comprises fifty lots of various sizes on three streets: Carter Avenue, Stark Avenue and Woodcrest Drive. Contemporary descriptions touted its sidewalks, proximity to “the new Columbus high school,” “paved roads to the Wynnton grammar school,” and its “wealth of trees.” A few houses date from the 1920s, with more Tudor revivals in the 1930s and 1940s. After World War II, Barnett Woodruff slowly developed the area, which continued to gain new houses as late the 1990s. The neighborhood is still characterized by its mature trees (“Shady Oaks That Would Take a Life to Grow”), Craftsman-style bungalow houses, and walkable streets.